Sunday, April 25, 2004

The day started out with so much potential. Saralita and I both got second interviews at the REI job fair, I bought a pair of heavy duty hiking boots and basked in the afternoon sun on our adorable porch. But things never stay fair for long in this world.
I fucked up. That's right, strong language and everything. I had seven days to prove that I could keep my till at work within $2.99 of what the computer says I should have or I would be demoted from Front End Manager back to cashier. Today, on my third day, after two days of success, I screwed up the entire thing and was $20.00 fucking dollars over. I have the word zero written on my thumb with permanent marker. Every time someone hands me a stinking, wrinkly, wet bill from their pocket or purse or bra or whatever I cringe and take extra care to handle the thing with precision. But no, I can't even give people their fucking change back. Why do we let people get cash back with debits. You know that's what it was. I hate my job and being a Front End Manager and I don't want to work there anymore. I don't care that I am going to be demoted and I don't care that I'll take a huge pay cut and even get suspended for a day. I hate the principle of the thing. I still fuck up even though I take the greatest care and precautions not to. If I can see a way to improve, I'll step up to the plate and improve, but I've done everything right. Even my manager didn't have any advise for me. Fucking $ 20.00 over. They should be happy that I'm evening out all the fuckers who consistently are $2.00 under.

No comments: