Thursday, July 02, 2009

Backslider's Belgian Wit

Ingredients for Backslider's Wit
The boil
Krausening
Transfering the Wit to a bucket for bottling ease
Bottled Backslider's Wit
I finally bottled my Belgian Wit! Actually, I am not sure that I ever mentioned that I was brewing beer at all. So yes, I brewed a Belgian Wit several months ago. The recipe goes as follows.
6.75 lbs Dark Wheat Malt Extract
.3 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Pilsner Malt
1 Oat Flakes
1.2 oz Hallertuar with 4% alpha acid (60 min)
1.2 oz Kent Hops (5 min)
Fresh orange peels
Pepper corns
Coriander
Safbrew T-58 yeast - use 4 oz extract and 1.5 L of water to make a slurry
Start with 3 gallons of water at 175 degrees F. Add malts and mash for 30 minutes. Boil 60 minutes. Transfer to the carboy and add 2.5 more gallons of water. Let cool and pitch yeast slurry. I pitched the yeast at 6 am on May 3rd and my 3 pm the krausening rate was 13o bubbles per minute. The original gravity was 1.05. The fermentation slowed remarkable after the initial explosion and the gravity fell slowly. Finally, after 50 days I had a final gravity of 1.011 which would give my beer an alcohol content of about 4 percent. I used about 1.75 cups of dry malt extract to condition the beer before bottling.

No comments: